Ayot St Peter is a neighbouring parish to Lemsford

Ayot St Peter

Ayot St Peter is a neighbouring parish to Lemsford and several parts of Ayot St Peter adjoin Brocket Park. These include the area known as Ayot Green, and the road called Water End Lane. Until the 20th century many of the properties within the parish of Ayot St Peter were owned by the Brocket Estate, and were rented out, frequently to estate workers. This means that it was quite common for families to move back and forth between homes in Lemsford and homes in Ayot St Peter, since the two villages were just either side of the park.

These days Ayot St Peter is considered a local beauty spot. Ayot Green is a conservation area and the former labourers’ cottages are mainly private houses. About a mile from the Green, heading north along the lane called Ayot St Peter Road is the listed Arts and Crafts church of St Peter, completed in 1875.

Ayot St Peter had a railway station on the Hatfield to Dunstable Line until 1949. The station and platforms have disappeared, but the station master’s house remains, now a private house. The route of the old railway line has been converted into the popular leisure trail known as the “Ayot Greenway” which leads from Ayot to Wheathampstead.

Our parish website includes a large history section and showcases our collection of historic pictures. We also have some additional information about births, marriages and burials that we can share with interested families. We are always keen to hear from people with links to Ayot St Peter – To view website Click Here

LLHG 2001 to Present Day

At Our first meeting in 2001 we elected Revd. Ron Ingamells as Chairman its aim was to study all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. On passed on the chair to local man Jeremy Summers a retired film director who lived in Cromer Hyde. In 2007 Joan Baraclough a long time member carried on the good work the previous chairman’s had built up with a comprehensive archive collected and collated by late Stan Borrie. Stan’s son Richard built a website for the group. When Joan stepped down in 2011 long term member and local man Andy Chapman became chairman, He continued on the same guidelines, developing the website and overseeing various publications, the regular meetings and the odd trip out. I was during this period we started the annual quiz with Welwyn District History Group which continues to the Day. In 2017 Pete Davis became our 5th Chairman and has continued with the quiz, village fete and regular meetings up to the present time

  • Revd. Ron Ingamells 2001 - 2002
  • Jeremy Summers 2002 - 2007
  • Joan Baraclough 2007 - 2011
  • Andy Chapman 2011 - 2017
  • Pete Davis 2017 - 2018
  • Andy Chapman 2018 - Present Day